Tuesday, December 26

A thought on relationship

I probably have written how Gan and I met back in 2012, but just for the record (again), we've known each other for over 5 years and has been in a relationship for 3 years and 9 months!

Never have I imagined being in a serious and steady relationship for such a long time. Plus, to be honest, 3 years felt so short yet so long! At times we would look at each other and just wonder how awesome and blessed is our journey through the years as a couple, as bestfriend, as fighters.

Let me just roughly (hopefully roughly) lay out how we journey as - first - a couple:
We love each other very much. The joy we experience in this relationship comes from the blessings released by our parents. Also, as we focus more on Abba, our joy increases too! We encourage one another without withholding the truth we need to hear (even if it's painful).

As bestfriends: Since we heavily stress on honesty between us, we don't keep secrets from one another. We know each other so well that we would know if something is wrong even by looking at our countenance!

One thing that I love about us is that WE TALK. Sometimes we do have times where we're just comfortable being silence with each others' presence, but we talk about MANY things. Random things, deep stuffs, controversial stuffs, funny/lame stories, silly stuffs, even to trivial matters.

Last but not least, we also journey as fighters. We are not street fighters (you know, those who fight publicly in the street. Side note: OK this is one of those lame jokes I put my effort in without realizing it haha..), but whenever we got into a fight -be it passive or active fight- we would fight for the truth. You know the time when your ego got the best of you in a fight, say disagreement? It happens to us as well and most of the time we would use words (and even harsh, cold silence) to fight the other person. However, I'm thankful that we stick to the truth that helps bring us closer to understand and hence, love each other.

For instance, I would normally be the one who uses silence to defend myself (and indirectly fight) from being hurt/offended by Gan. Gan, being the verbal one and likes to settle things well, will probe me to open up and come out of my cave. Normally I wouldn't bug (such a cave girl laa), but when he would remind me about what the fight would cost, and how it would give foothold to the enemy to put a wedge between us, I would go "Ya, that's true. And I don't want that to happen." 
Yet, in the beginning of our relationship, it was very hard for me to open up and share how I feel, but as the years passed by it got easier and I know how to share better.

Same goes to Gan. When he got away with his feeling, I learned how to NOT cave in but to communicate it properly. It's always always good to communicate from the heart, and not just to avoid further conflict (yet still hold grudges). 

We fight. But during the fight, we are aware that we are also fighting for the truth.
The ultimate question is this: Is the fight for the truth worth fighting for?
I would definitely say YES! 

Nothing sets us free than knowing that we love each other so much that we would fight for the truth. When we are free, we are more able to love each other with a love that doesn't shrink in fear but stands firm in the face of fear.

I love my bestfriend, and I thank God we found each other.

Nethy

No comments:

Post a Comment